Giant Asian mantis
|Scientific name:||Hierodula membranacea|
|Common name:||Giant Asian mantis|
|Distribution:||South & Southwest Asia|
|Size:||Female up to 10 cm
Male up to 9 cm
|Livespan:||Female up to 2 years
Male up to 1,5 years
|Colour variations:||Grass green, light brown or yellowish|
|Difficulty:||Easy (typical beginners species)|
*up to L3/L4 group-housing possible (males in adult stages also in groups)
First description (year): BURMEISTER (1838)
More species of this genus (similar keeping and appearance):
Species is suitable for free-range keeping.
- Single-housing: from 20 x 20 x 30 cm
- Group-housing: from 30 x 30 x 30 cm for 3 adult males
- Small nymphs can be reared in smaller enclosures (for moulting they need twice their body length free space downwards)
Two ventilation areas (gaze at top + front) adviced to prevent waterglogging.
Days 22 - 30 °C, nights room temperature (below 18°C no problem)
~ 40 - 50 %
- Substrate: Soil, sand, kitchen paper, gravel, coco humus etc. (animals seldom stay on the ground)
- Branches (also horizontal/bent) with ~ 1- 2 cm diameter, bark
- Living or artificial plants (Beware of pesticides!)
- Clean with vinegar or biodegradable glass cleaner (afterwards rinse with clear water)
|L1 /L2||Small fruit flies (Drosophila melanogaster) and
Big fruit flies (Drosophila hydei)
|L3/L4||Big fruit flies (Drosophila hydei)|
|L6 to adult||Bluebottle flies|
This species also feeds on crawling insects like crickets/roaches etc.
In general: 8 visible sternites (ventral segments) at males, 6 at females.
If nymphs or adults, the rule is always the same. See also here.
- adult: females thicker and males thin with wings reaching over abdominal end
Adult stage (= full-grown + winged):
Females and males in L10
Amount of moults variates (especially under abnormal temperatures or injuries)
Sexually mature after adult moult:
Males ~ 3 weeks
Females ~ 4 weeks
~ 3 - 12 Stunden
Size: up to 4 cm
Oviposition place: thick branches
First ooth after adult moult: ~ 4 - 5 weeks
Interval: ~ 10 - 14 days
Amount: up to 6 oothecae
Incubation and hatch
Duration: ~ 4 - 6 weeks
Temperatures like animals (see above), rel. humidity over 50% (with good ventilation)
Nymph quantity: up to 300
Size freshly hatched (L1): ~ 7 mm
All given information only for orientation. Actual facts always depend on temperature and food availibility etc.!
This relatively big species is perfect for beginners. It is easy to keep and quite robust. Many are kept free on a plant.
If females are not available (as they are always wanted), an alternative would be Sphodromantis or other Hierodula species.
- Own expercience
- www.mantisonline.de (July 2017)
Often available in the shop.